Trump ‘not worried’ after third N Korea missile test in a week
2 months ago DieselGasoil Comments Off on Trump ‘not worried’ after third N Korea missile test in a week
Donald Trump says he is “not worried” following a third North Korean missile test in just over a week.
Pyongyang fired two unidentified projectiles into the Sea of Japan at 3am local time on Friday, South Korea said.
US officials said they had tracked a projectile launch from North Korea, adding that initial information suggested it was similar to other short-range missile tests by Pyongyang in the past days.
Seoul’s military said the weapons were fired from North Korea’s South Hamgyong province.
Speaking to South Korea’s Yonhap news agency, the country’s joint chiefs of staff said: “We are monitoring the situation in case of additional launches and maintaining a readiness posture”.
Speaking before his trip to a campaign rally in Cincinnati, the US president called the missiles launched by North Korea as “very standard” and “short range”.
He added: “I think it’s very much under control, very much under control.”
Friday’s launch comes after North Korean officials confirmed late on Wednesday that Kim Jong Un oversaw test firings of a new multiple rocket launcher system.
It is being seen as a warning ahead of US-South Korean military drills in the region.
Earlier on Thursday, a senior US official said Pyongyang’s latest launches did not violate a pledge Kim Jong Un made to Mr Trump not to test long-range missiles and nuclear weapons.
At the United Nations, Britain, France and Germany urged North Korea to engage in “meaningful” talks with the US, adding that international sanctions need to be fully enforced until Pyongyang has dismantled its nuclear and ballistic missile programs.
British ambassador to the UN Karen Pierce said: “We urge North Korea to take concrete steps towards its complete, verifiable and irreversible denuclearisation and to engage in meaningful negotiations with the US.”
In June, Mr Trump and Mr Kim agreed to revive talks that broke down in February after they were unable to agree on US demands for North Korea’s full denuclearisation and North Korea’s insistence on sanctions relief.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is in the region, and said the US “stands ready” to continue talks with Pyongyang.